A overseas nationwide has been intercepted within the Mumbai cruise medication case and shall be produced in courtroom on Friday, mentioned NCB director Sameer Wankhede. He added that the company nonetheless has six months to research the topic as up to now just a case were registered towards the 8 accused.
A Nigerian nationwide, Chinedu Igwe, was once arrested from suburban Andheri in reference to alleged seizure of substances from a Goa-bound cruise send off the Mumbai coast. An NCB authentic mentioned that 40 drugs of Ecstasy had been discovered from his ownership. It took the choice of arrested individuals within the case — which incorporates Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan’s son Aryan Khan — to 18.
Wankhede additionally lauded his group’s efficiency within the ultimate 365 days. “If you see in last one year or so we have registered over 100 cases, including work done by NCB teams in Maharashtra and Goa. We have made over 300 arrests, many of them are peddlers caught with commercial quantity, taken action against organised gangs who had set up its manufacturing units and mini labs in the heart of Mumbai,” he told CNN-News18.
The latest high-profile seizure of banned drugs from a cruise ship off the Mumbai coast has once against brought the Narcotics Control Bureau in the spotlight. And allegations of “targeting” Bollywood aren’t a ways away months after it investigated alleged drug abuse within the fraternity in reference to the demise of actor Sushant Singh Rajput.
Questions have been raised in particular over the arrest and subsequent three-day custody of Aryan Khan, the son of superstar Shah Rukh Khan, despite no drugs found on him during Saturday’s raid on the Goa-bound ship of the Cordelia Cruises company. The NCB recovered 11 grams of charas from the remaining two accused, Arbaaz Merchant and Munmun Dhamecha. The bail plea of all three was rejected on Monday.
Since September last year, the NCB has registered 114 cases under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act and arrested more than 300 people, including 34 foreigners and a few names from the Bollywood. In all, drugs worth more than Rs 150 crore have been recovered from Mumbai, adjoining Navi Mumbai, Thane and other parts of Maharashtra.
The man leading the charge is NCB zonal director Sameer Wankhede and he categorically denied that the agency is specifically ‘targeting’ Bollywood.
Closing Tuesday, he said that “shaming” Bollywood isn’t the NCB’s time table, however added that any one discovered at the mistaken aspect of regulation received’t be spared.
“I would not like to quote or pinpoint a particular case. All cases are important to us. All angles are important to us, including the financial one. We are taking action down to the peddler-level. We came to know that this (drug abuse) is a deep-rooted problem in Mumbai and Goa. We are fortunate to work for the NCB. It’s a national service, it’s an issue of national interest. We will fight it till the end,” Wankhede said.